Thursday, March 02, 2006

just...

...came back from starting a load of diapers. Was thinking how when I 'deal with the diapers' when Sarah is not around I can make all the funny faces I want, accompanied by holding my breath. When reading about starting her on solids 'Super Baby Food' mentioned that the poops change after they start solid foods (no kidding) and how it's good not to react to your child's feces with shock and awe and 'eeewww, gross' etc. because they may get the message that their private areas are gross and yuck etc. One is to 'take it all in stride' and just talk about how 'I am cleaning you up (or your poop up) to make your bum feel better' etc. So, that is the approach we've taken. BUT when I'm rinsing diapers in the toliet or dumping the pail with poopy diapers into the washing machine I can 'freak out' all I want. I usually just scrunch up my face and hold my breath...which brings me to another poop story.
Tues. Andy was hosting the men's bible study at our house. Sarah was in her pajamas and we were winding down for the night and she's wandering around her room...picks something up. It looks like a piece of leftover pancake. She puts it to her mouth. I say, 'What is that Sarah?' and take it from her. I now have in my hand a turd, a piece of poop, which has somehow been unaccounted for. I did freak out a little and say, 'Oh, uh, ew, it's poop...this is not to eat Sarah....uh, ew...it's ok.' because at this point she is freaking a little. Wash the mouth, wash the mouth...we go to the bathroom. How do you wash her mouth? Well, we brushed teeth. I think she just put it up to her lips only. I was tempted to interupt the Bible study to confer with Andy but I didn't and later he thanked me for that. Ha. Anyway, got any good stories lately?
Two more highlights of late:
-walking on the boardwalk looking at ducks...Sarah out walking too. The ducks come and say hi even though we have no food...they think we might I guess.
-playing make-believe with animals. Made mountains (towel covered pillows), lakes, a cave. Pictures another day of that ok? Ok.
Time to clip my nails and take a rest.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I have to admit I kind of like washing my diapers. Once I adopted the two pail system it really cut down on the stink. (one pail for yucky and one pail for only wet) The yuck diapers get rinsed before being tossed in the pail, and then on wash day I will do a small rinse cycle of those diapers only and then a full wash with the rest of them. I have something called a "mini shower" which is like those kitchen sprays only attatched to your toilet. Never used them before but it is supposed to change my life apparently :O) We'll see.

and ewwwwe on the poop story!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Thanks for sharing the poop story. Perhaps it is a right of passage for kids to do not so great things with poop. Eat it, put blocks in it... Mom could share a story about one of us happily pushing blocks into poop.

Oh yuck. I think you dealt with it well. :)

Aimee

5:04 PM  
Blogger Marsha said...

It wasn't until my fourth kid that I KNEW about a kid eating poo (others might have done it but kept it quiet). I called poison control. The lady was really nice. She said, "I know it seems gross to us, but really it isn't that harmful.". I talked to a mom once who had just taught her kid to use a straw - then found him sucking up toilet water with a straw.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

...no doubt about it poop is yucky....I don't like(other word come to mind but I shall refrain) the way it feels warm...on those few occasions where I do have to touch it...even through a wipe or tp...blech!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

ok, hi Cara!
Time for me to admit that I have been reading your blog. I don't know if you remember me, but I am Heidi's friend. (not the one in Thailand, the other Leah).
Your poop story made me smile!
By the way Sarah is adorable!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

It's times like that, that motivate people to get their kids potty trained not matter how youg they are! I'm so glad my kids are potty trained, but I still have to wipe bums and stuff. It's one of those bonding things that God put in place to keep us close to our kids :)

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home