Tuesday, December 16, 2008

sick time

Here's what we've been up to (from emails to family).

Written Dec.13:

Dear family,Please pray for Sarah. She's been sick since the evening of the 11th...throwing up and complaining of stomach pain. We took her to the hospital this evening where they gave her (me serving) a rehydration drink mixed with OJ and also doses of 3 types of drugs (tylenol, motrin and gravol). She perked up considerably during our 2 hour stay at the hospital, as did her blood sugars rise while we were there. We were doing a hospital activity book later on while we were there after reading Bill Peet's "The Caboose Who Got Loose" (thanks James). She is sleeping now and we have a follow-up appt. on Mon. and instructions to bring in another urine sample (they took one tonight).So, please pray for her. She's just been laying in bed for the past 2 days.Thanks.CaraP.S. We just had a dump of snow yesterday, the 12th...about a foot, I'd say. So driving now takes more time too...and it is cold. Mom K., we brought the quilt you made for Sarah to the hospital.

Dec.14:

Stayed home (no church) and Sarah was in bed all day, except for one time on the toliet (her little one I brought to her bed). She was complaining of a hurting tummy in the morning so we gave her the drugs the hospital sent home with us last night. We just didn't want her to throw up again. We read lots of books today and she's had gas (stinky!:) and been eating smooth oatmeal, applesauce and even some pumpkin pie (I think that was supper). Drinking that rehydration drink mixed with applejuice and water too. She had 2 naps today, one small, one big and is sleeping now again for the night hopefully. Last night she was up at 3am for food and drink.We have mastered how to brush teeth while laying down and we are going through a lot of straws. The doctor phoned around lunch to see how she was doing so that was cool. We'll go into town tomorrow to drop of her urine sample and have another doc's appt.I went for a lovely walk today out to the beaver ponds. Nice that that trail is protected by the wind mainly...in the snow (maybe not quite enough to ski in yet)...COLD. Minus 15 C.Thanks for your love and prayers.

Dec.16:

Hello,Here's an update on the last 2 days. Yesterday we went into town in the morning to deliver a urine sample (had to get there by 10am when our lab closes). Then we were supposed to make and have a doc.'s appt. that day so I walked into the clinic to see if they had any openings that morning. Nothing till 3 pm, so back home for a rest. Then back to town (I do not like going in twice in a day...and it was snowy on the road, so I'm taking it easy). Sarah was having trouble walking too, so that's tricky, but she managed. I'm not carrying her anymore, she weighs too much.The doc. said her urine sample had keetones in it, which means her body is in starvation mode and is breaking down fat. Also trace amounts of blood in the urine - could be from the dehydration. He was still waiting for results on knowing the 'culture' of her urine - like if it had bacteria in it. She's not peeing tons, but I think she's not dehydrated anymore. Her color is back, her lips are moist and she is peeing maybe twice a day. The doc. recommended we try and get her to eat more, she needs more nutrients. It's tricky, cause she's often complaining of stomach pain. Anyway, we tried feeding her more last night and she went to bed at 7 pm. I went to bed at 8:30 pm I was so tired. Then as Andy is coming up the stairs at 10:30 pm she barfs as she wakes up and the water sound splashing on the carpet wakes me up. So, it felt like we were back to square one, cause she hadn't barfed since Sat. night. Anyway, back to sleep after much cleaning. Then up at 4 am for a snack and drink and her tummy hurt again. She fell asleep with me holding a bowl under her mouth, on the side. Then today, she still be laying in bed all day, but her color is still good, she had a 2 hour nap and now I hear her singing 'there's a spider on my head' with Raffi, very quietly. We were working on Cmas card together...her drawing pics inside and putting stickers on envelopes and writing her name inside. It's just tricky, cause she's not really into eating, but we think that's what she needs. We've given Tylenol once these last 2 days to help with the pain too.The doctor said her tummy pain is probably from all that throwing up at the start of it all and now it's hungry and all jumbled up (something like that). Her stomach is soft not indicitive of appedicitis, twisted bowl or other things (I think he mentioned). You can pray for me, as my energy is waning. I can't believe she's been sick this long and you can pray specifically that she has a bowl movement, cause if she doesn't today or tomorrow she was recommended to have an abdominal x-ray. We also are bringing in another urine sample on Thurs.Andy had taken on kitchen duties and is doing a really good job at it. We are running low on bread and snacks (baking) though. I made pancakes today...those are good snacks :) Andy shyly asked me for some of my chocolate bar in the cupboard (my secret sister from church gave me an enormous one), after he said days ago he wouldn't ask me about it anymore. Sure, no prob., I said. :)Well, that's all for now. I am trying to trust Jesus and not worry. I am imagining myself sleeping in his big palm under my body when I fall asleep, cause my mind is prone to think/wonder/worry....Thanks for all your prayers and messages back and love, Cara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home