Wednesday, February 08, 2006

focus article

Our church has a monthly newsletter...here is an article I wrote for the Feb. issue.

“Under (Christ’s) direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.” Ephesians 4:16 NLT

My 16 month old daughter, Sarah, is finishing up her nap just through the sliding door next to me as I type here. My husband Andy, is just finishing up at work in Aldergrove where he builds kitchen cabinets. I attended another Design Team meeting at church this morning and write this article in hopes of connecting with you - the church body - a bit about what we do as a team.

Part of what I was created for?

I was looking back at an email I sent Lyndon several months ago.

“Another thing I love/would love to do, which ranks pretty high up there with outdoor ministry, for me, is planning worship services. Years ago I used to sit in church and wonder if there was any job that consists of this (planning times of worship for people...).”

So when Lyndon asked me to be a part of this Design Team which gathers every Thurs. for 2 hours for the purpose of being involved in crafting Sunday morning services (primarly second service) I was thrilled.

I have been encouraged by this group of people and it has been like a care group to me. I’m thankful for the openness and honesty of others in the group as to what spiritual lessons they’ve learned over the years. I smile when I think of the times of laughter we have together and also the non-rushed focused times of prayer around church life, services and group huddles around various team members to pray regarding specific personal concerns.

I’ve tried to keep what I call ‘short-accounts’ in this meeting – and in life in general – which for me means following what I believe the Spirit is leading me to do and say…and this always feels good.

We’ve gotten to know each other better through creative get-to-know-you/teambuilding activities, bounced many ideas off each other during brainstorming/dreaming sessions and discovered that almost everyone on the team has a soft spot for chocolate.

It is exciting to see how God has used the different people on this team – their unique gifts, talents and ways they think – to contribute to our experience of life together on a Sunday morning. We have discussed and often pray for the right balance of prayerful planning and flexibility and willingness to do what the Spirit may be leading on the ‘spur-of-the-moment’.

I can become a little overwhelmed with the enormity of what we are doing or hoping to do in these meetings. We are listening to God, asking what he wants to accomplish on a Sunday morning – relying on him for inspiration, ideas and resources to make it happen. Would you pray for us, as God prompts you, on this listening journey? And when God speaks something to you – regarding our services - please share it, for we need all the parts of this body doing their own ‘special work’ so we are healthy and growing…” (Ephesians 4:16 NLT).

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks for the article. It helps me appreciate what happens on a Sunday morning. It's meaningful to me to get a peak at the process and intentions.

Blessings and Prayers,
Mom

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Beautiful.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home