Monday, April 11, 2005

sweet liberation?

Hi. Fri. morn I went to the doctor because of this tenderness (to the touch) on my head...just a type of headache. I wanted to ask him about the long-term effects of sleep deprivation as well. He said you go insane, can't really function and on and on. I started crying because I had experienced everything he was talking about...He asked if I was not sleeping because of Sarah...talked about her sleeping habits and he said it is time to get her to sleep through the night...should take three days. She physiologically can sleep 12 hours. We thought we'd try with cutting out one feeding in that 12 hour period.
We moved our bedroom. Andy and I now sleep on the futon in the living room....kinda feels like a hotel. It is nice not to hear Sarah breathe. My doc says I don't need to be a baby monitor.
Here are the results:
Fri. night she cried for exactly 15 min. She really got going...screaming like and stuff. Barry (my doc) said not to go in to reassure her until 15 min. had past so it was kinda cool how she stopped right at that mark.
Sat. night: Andy was out of town and it was just me and Sarah. She cried about 20 min. but never got to the screaming stage.
Sun. night: She cried and I lost track of how long becuase I fell back asleep. She was in bed 12 HOURS last night. Wow. Then, this afternoon had a 3 hr. nap.
I didn't sleep great cause I thought she would be up any minute...like around 4 or 6 am.
Anyway, I am so hopeful that I will start to have more energy because of these new sleep possibilities. I noticed I kinda missed Sarah - her spending so much time in bed the last little while. Interesting. Now I need to learn to sleep at night.
Currently it sounds like she is squirming in her bed.
I'm going to get ready to sleep. Made a b-day supper for AA today. Vegan perogies (he liked them better than the real cheese ones I bought for him) and beets, brocolli, carrots, tomatoes and rhubarb pie (r. from backyard). Pretty beat by the end of it all...but got a second wind to play with Sarah later.
Sarah likes millet cereal...homemade.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Hooray for sleep and good advice. What a cooperative little girl to catch on so quickly. Of course, she feels so secure already.

I love you,
Mom

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Cara and Andy, you are wonderful parents - I have prayed for the last few days for you to be able to have peace and sleep, Cara, and it was lovely to read your blog and see how He has answered that prayer. I miss Sarah too, when I haven't seen her for a couple of days. God bless you. From Grandma Judy

1:23 PM  
Blogger ramblin'andie said...

Hi Cara,
We finally had to let davey cry it out because it was that or get a divorce...we were seriously crazy from the lack of sleep. It was hard...and it actually took him five days till he stopped crying, but SO worth it. He actually goes for naps better now, and is so much happier.

I'll be praying for you and your husband and little Sarah.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Thanks Andie. Yah, it seems Sarah naps better too...more predictable. Last night she cried for 1/2 hr...not sure. I went in and comforted after 15 min. and by the time 45 min. (?) was up we were all sleeping again...so she's still learning. Lack of sleep does make you crazy. Oh in heaven we'll have no need of this sweet relief of sleep:)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home