Wednesday, July 27, 2005

today...

I had an extraordinary day, so I thought I'd write about it.
Sarah and I are starting our day as normal and I get a phone call around 10 am. "Are you coming to the park?" Tanya asks. I've forgotten about this moms meeting in the park on Wed.s thing. Yah, we'll come. My grandpa stops by to give me some stuff he and grandma don't want anymore. I come away with many greeting cards, a flannel shirt, soup mugs (nice ones), a tea strainer thing, a photo box...Then, we jog out to the park and visit with some moms and babes there. Then, off to the main task of the day...mail something for Andy. I had to pick up something to include in his letter from CBC and then mail it, so I start heading this way. Ducked into the mall to see if my stroller would fit in the bathroom...no. Saw a fellow from the Vintage church...we say hello. Stop on a mall bench to see if Sarah will nurse. Started to. A smiley East-Indian lady in a beautiful bright orange outfit (maybe age 35) asks if Sarah is sleeping...no nursing. She pops off to see who is there. The lady and Sarah interact. Sarah likes her. She is very friendly. She is eating ice from Starbucks and gives a piece to Sarah, which she holds and it melts. Then she puts it in her mouth. I retrieve it and hold on to it and let her suck it. I ask the lady a few questions and learn she picks blueberries...2 days on...2 days off. She tells me she wants to take care of my baby...she likes her very much. I have some trouble understanding her, but we do ok. Then she tells me she is going to a Bible Study today and that Jesus died for me and the whole world. I believe this too, I tell her. We talk a bit more and as I leave she says if I have more babies, can I give one to her... a small one, she says as she rocks her arms. You like babies, don't you?, I say. Yes. Have a good day, I say...and a good Bible Study.
I approach the HOJ and the bus stop. I have to cross the street. In the middle of the crosswalk I say hello to Mandy, also from the Vintage church. At the bus stop, I start looking for my change to take the bus. No purse...nothing...no money. Arg. My dad's not working today, so I can't ask him for money. Ah hah...there is my bank across the street...the bank we took almost all our money out of to bank elsewhere. Perhaps I can get money out. I could. Yeah. I left $5 in that account.
Waited for the bus. It was jam packed...I didn't think I'd fit. Many Koreans going to the wave pool...tour group I suppose. Someone instructs everyone they have to move backwards. I board the bus, just barely making it behind the red line. 3 more people board. I can't believe they make it. Many people are standing, including me. 3 young Korean girls are 'oohhing' at my baby. Get off the bus. A loud vehicle approaches behind me and turns the corner right in front of me and the driver ducks his head and waves. It is our friend Mark Janousek in his VW van. Make my stop at CBC and exchange a few words with the gardener, who also attends the Vintage church.
Then, off to Letterlock, where Andy instructed me to go to...but I get mixed up and go to MailBoxes Etc., which I think, "no, prob., they'll do the same thing." I pass Safeway on the way and pick up laundry soap and dish soap, which we needed. They can't mail my package quickly because it's to a PO box. I have to go to the post office. OK, no prob...it's just across the parking lot. But I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to send it...remember I have no wallet on me, just the cash I took out of the bank. So, I decide to return the laundry soap, to save me walking back across the busy hot sunny parking lot to get the money if I need it. Mail the package at Canada Post. I have enough money for the laundry soap after all. Yeah. I go back to Safeway and 're-buy' the same laundry soap which is still sitting at the customer service desk. The lady who returned it for me is still there and I tell her I had enough money for everything after all.
The deed is done. Mission accomplished. I'm thirsty, but will make it home. I do not stop at Sevenoaks Alliance for a pit stop, which we've done before. Sarah is still sleeping in her stroller and has a blanket draped over the stroller for shade. I'm gobbed up in sunscreen. Did I mention it was a very hot day? I generally try to stay indoors in the middle of the day on days like this, but today I had a mission and now it is done. Yeah. Back home. Sarah wakes as we approach home.
It is actually a few days after this big day and I can't remember what happened the rest of the day. Probably some dishes, maybe dinner, but not dance class. It seems I'm often worn out by the time that time comes around on Wed. evenings or something else comes up. I'll get there again.
I am surprised often at what the Lord helps me accomplish. I am sleeping quite well at night now, although I still need naps.
Some summer meals we've been enjoying lately are bean dip (kidney beans, apple cider vinegar, medley of spices, some red onion and oil all blenderized) sandwhichs with fresh garden salads, a colorful bean salad with brocolli and peppers (a spin of the Calico Bean Salad from The Vegan Chef).

3 Comments:

Blogger Bekah said...

Oh Cara What a day!!
I can't believe that the lady asked you to give her a baby!! Incredible. It's so neat to find other ethnicities evangelizing christianity. I bet that felt weird huh. It's so amazing that God works things out for us like leaving $5 in you account. So amazing.
See ya later.
Rebekah

10:56 PM  
Blogger heidi said...

hey cara,

thanks for posting such a detailed, and interesting account of your day! it was like a story i was reading and i could see you in my mind, doing and saying all of those things. it made me feel a little closer, geographically, than i really am. i love you guys :)

--heidi

11:17 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Wow, what a big and variety packed day! Thanks for writing all about it.
Mom

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home