Monday, July 11, 2005

I feel like a Mennonite

Here are some titles I thought of for blog entries this weekend:
*I feel like a Mennonite.
*You were so quiet I almost didn't hear you.
The "I feel like a Mennonite" phrase comes as a result of us podding peas on Sat. night. We put Sarah to bed, I did a quick run around the lake and then joined Andy in the podding procedings. We are Mennonites, but when we harvest, 'put up' and preserve our own food I feel we are 'connecting' with our roots in that our ansestors (and many others) did the same thing.
Yah, so for freezing peas, you pod them and then blanch them (steam them very briefly to kill enzyme activity) and then put them in bags and in the freezer. It's a lot of work for a few peas but they are amazingly delicious and melt in your mouth.
"You were so quiet I almost didn't hear you" was what someone said when I passed them running Sun. morning. As I continued on I thought about how it can be this way with God sometimes....he can be so quiet we hardly hear him...or we are to busy/filling our lives with other stuff, that we 'almost don't hear him. Made me think, 'maybe God is speaking all the time, quietly, and we need to slow down to listen.'
Haven't talked about Sarah's nights lately because she's been the same for a while...waking up every other night in the middle of the night. She'd also gotten into the habit of waking up an hour after we put her to bed. I think she'd roll over and hear us and maybe want to see us. So we tried again at letting her cry. The last 3 or 4 nights have been very encouraging. She cried some an hour after we put her down, some nights and slept through. A couple nights were 11 or 11.5 hrs. and the two other nights were about 9 hours. Yeah. And I didn't get out of bed for approximately 8 hrs. the last two nights. I am encouraged.
My tendonitus has been ravaging my arms lately again, so Andy's been helping more with dishes. It's frustrating cause I have energy to do stuff but can't.
We are planning a camping trip with my cousin and her family which is ultra exciting. Brian and Erin and there two boys, Nick and Austin.
Planning on doing the In Motion Walk next Sat. Any other local people want to join me?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna see pictures of sarahs teeth!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

I'm sure you do. I just finished off a roll of film just now, so maybe tomorrow there will be something...or I could get mom to take a few shots when she babysits in a few minutes.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home