Friday, September 16, 2005

trucking along

I'm sure I've used that title before. Tired for much of the day. Sarah and I have a bit of a cold. Dehydrated some of our roma tomatoes - boy they're good. Got out for a trip to the fabric store and a run (did not feel like doing this but the after effects were good). Found a good trail for part of our run. Sarah fell asleep on the way back. Went to the MCC Relief Sale this evening with the Abrahams' and James. Had some 'African Snacks' as the sign said above the both were I bought my food...some deep fried root vegetable perhaps. Sarah and I snuck out of the people-packed inside food area to a 'outdoor picnic' area and listened to JD Miner and the Panhead . Made up of a stand-up bass, banjo/guitar guy, and a fellow with another small stringed instrument. Met a senior lady who remembered me from a time she gave me a ride home from church years ago. Congradulated me on having Sarah and I congradulated her on her recent marriage, she told me about. She was beaming....looked so happy. Some things I picked up at the sale : baby slippers, apples, jungle animal puzzle, a couple of books and garlic farmer sausage for AA.
Proverbs 23:13 NASB
Do not hold back discipline from the child, Although you strike him with the rod, he will not die.
The above verse was the 'proverb for the day' in my one year Bible reading. Made me think of a conversation I had with a friend recently about spanking/discipline. We'll me making decisions on how we will dicsipline Sarah soon.
The above verse and Proverbs 29:15 have often been used to 'back up' spanking. Just wondering what others stances are on spanking etc., what ways have you chosen to discipline your child(ren) when they were young (a year plus), has it worked?

I like how the following verse stresses the importance of discipline, whatever form one chooses to use.
Proverbs 13:24 NLT If you refuse to discipline your children, it proves you don't love them; if you love your children, you will be prompt to discipline them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Discipline means disciple - much different than punishing. I would spank less if I raised kids over. Research seems to show spanking, and yelling for that matter, breeds more of the same. I think it's really important to study child development - to know what's typical at each age and support guide that development. Under two - distraction would be a main tool - a no and distraction - simple explanations and distractions - that and creating an enviornment where a child could have as many choices and as much freedom as appropriate- to encourage confident exploration. Daniel Goleman writes books about emotional intelligence - he has one about raising kids. Great stuff. Time outs are useful for kids a little older but many parents use them as punishment - they are to be used to give the child time to calm themselves so they, with the parent, can think of a solution and the child can continue on. I think a really important concept is that parents main role is to teach their child to think - not just to control them from the outside.
You hit a favorite topic of mine.
I think you are doing a great job and will continue to. Enjoy the journey.
I love you, Mom

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home