Wednesday, February 09, 2005

my bed

Sarah's bed is the hub for so many wonderful times. When I was first learning her cues I'd put her in bed and then wait up to see if she really was going to fall asleep or if she needed something else. I love when I put her down and as I'm tucking the blankets under her back, she turns her head to the side and yawns. I say, "Yes!" under my breath or inside my head, as this means I was right in reading her...she really was tired.

More happy bed memories include when I greet her in the morning and she smiles up at me. Even just my silent presence at her bedside generates a smile. When she was discovering her voice a while back it was fun to hear her 'talk' to the bears hanging on the mobile or wake up and be babbling....ahh...uh...ahh.. About those bears...they detach from the mobile so sometimes I'd spin the mobile (no motor on this one) for a while and sneakily detatch a bear and when she was focusing on that bear bring him down to her face...special visit from Mr. Bear, oh yes. Now when the bear comes she can grab him.

Sometimes I put Sarah down and it's not the right thing and she lets me know. She looks up at me, furrows her brow, starts breathing quicker, kicks her legs, cries...all to say,"Mom, you got it wrong. I'm really not ready to be here yet." And sometimes she just needs to calm down emotionally and I'll sing and rub her belly. I usually turn the light off on a smiling Sarah. It's neat that one can actually calm another person down by smiling and singing.

When Sarah wakes up she kicks her legs - in unison - up to the ceiling. The blanket is still on so she makes a little hill. If the blanket hasn't been tucked in well enough she can uncover herself.
I tuck her in as follows: Place Sarah in the bed...put the blankets (2 flannel recieving blankets) over her...roll her to one side and tuck blankets under her back and bum (leaving arms free) and do the same on the other side. Then tuck blankets under her bum and legs loosely. Place a kiss on her cheek or forehead...smile and say goodnight and turn off the light.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning (it is 6:42 am)Was a very enjoyable read about Sarah and Cara and tucking in to sleep. How comforting and precious for the two of you to be bonded like you are. It is a blessing from God. I am a Dr. Laura fan and heard the sweetest call the other day. A 10 year old boy called in and asked her if it was Ok at that age for his mom to still tuck him into bed. She quietly asked if he still liked it that she would do that and he said yes. She then replied that being tucked in for the night is something to always cherish and even when this young man is 80 years old, a tuck in would be lovely. He just listened and then she said her producers had given her the go ahead to gift someone with a dozen fresh red roses for Valentine's Day so she would have him stay on the line to get the needed information and this boy's mom would receive them. As the call ended he said "Thank you, thank you, thank you". Your story today reminded me of that warm call. Cara, you are an Awesome mom to our little grandchild. Grandma A.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home