Tuesday, January 27, 2009

whoosh whoosh whoosh

Went to the midwife today and we heard our baby's hearbeat! She couldn't find it right away and started talking about how sometimes they don't hear the heartbeats this early because the baby is nestled or tucked away. Anyway, then we could hear it...not to clearly, but Andy and I and Sarah all heard the 140 beats/minute whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.So cool. I was very thankful we could hear the heartbeat today because we were looking forward to that.

When she was measuring the fundal height she held my hand down there so I too could feel the firmness of the uterus. Cool.

We hadn't met this midwife before and her name is Sharon. There was also a student midwife in with us during the appointment.

We had a tour of the Baby's Inn today too. It's a new house in a new subdivision in "the Mission" part of Kelowna. It's not as decorated as I thought it would be which could be a good thing, but there is some furniture and it is very spacious and clean. They have a full kitchen with plates and cooking stuff. Also, the bedroom people birth in has an empty closet, walk-in shower (and tub in other bathroom), big bed and she's hoping to add another end table and table for the midwives to put their things. in that room as well.In the backyard there is a plum and a cherry tree. You can see them from the bedroom window.We have priority for the time around our due date and I hope to move in there when I'm in labor.

Other things we did in Kelowna include dropping off stuff at the thrift store, picked up containers from a water anaylisis place so Andy can test camp's water, drop an electrical heater off for repair for camp, go out for Japanese food and go shopping at save-on and two health food stores. We also heated up borscht soup in the parking lot of a strip mall for dinner before heading home.

Very tired so it's time to turn in. Thank you God for a safe trip and bare and dry roads on the way home in the dark.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

So delighted about you guys getting to hear your baby's heart beat!! I remember loving to hear the miracle! Rejoicing with you.

11:06 AM  
Blogger heidi said...

wow, 140 bpm!! my baby's was 160 bpm a couple of weeks ago and you know what they say....faster heartbeat=girl and slower heartbeat=boy. of course, that can always be wrong, but wouldn't that be fun??! :)

re. chinese food from your last post, i craved that too during my first trimester! i have a really yummy/easy recipe for lettuce wraps. the filling is just ground turkey with carrots, celery, onions and teriyaki sauce. let me know if you'd like me to email it to you

love you guys!

-heidi

12:40 PM  
Blogger M.R. Tumnus said...

Ah Cara, your words encouraged me today. So so sweet for you to hear that beating heart. Sounds like you have had a fun adventurous trip. Look forward to seeing you soon. XO

4:19 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I can hear the wooshing in my mind's ear. It's a sound one never forgets. Hello little one!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

yes, my girls were never below 150 and the boys were usually 135-155. It is the most reliable old wives tales.

Still, a healthy heartrate. Praise God for being able to hear it. Also neat to hear about the birthing center. Sounds similar to the one where I had my first two. Very cottage like.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home