Saturday, March 05, 2005

crazy house

We are reorganizing our house and there is stuff all over the place. When we moved here we never really organized everything. I'm glad we're doing it cause I'll know where everything is...like batteries. Watched some of Toy Story 2 today. Funny moive. I love hearing Andy laugh and laughing with him.
We moved our bed around in our room too, and put up a blanket as a curtain between our bed and Sarah's - her 'independance' curtain...since we don't have another room, really, to put her in. Although, if we had another room, I'm not sure I'd want to put her in it just yet.
Sarah and I went out for a very short walk just to give her some fresh air...hadn't been out yesterday. Later, I went for a good swim and did some weights at the gym. I was the only person in the lower area for a while and felt like I was on a different planet when the song, "Puttin' On the Ritz' came on during my push-ups. Weird song.
Sarah is snuffly again - has been for most of the week. And she is developing more in the sounds she makes...learned how to scream this week. Her screams usually occur when she jumping in her Merry Muscles (Mr. Jumpsie, I call it). Yah, I like her new sounds. My mom told me that when we learned to scream she'd make low noises back to us in response, hoping that we would catch on to those sounds rather than stay with the screams which were hard on her ears. I've been doing the same with Sarah although she doesn't keep at it for very long at one time.
My grandma Wellunscheg had total shoulder replacement surgery this week and it was successful. She'll have a long road to recovery (3-6 months). I printed some of my blog for her to read and she really enjoyed it...read it the night before her surgery.
Thurs. night we had another meeting with our study group and during that meeting we watched an MCC video on the cost of globalization. Most of the people at the group were kind of sad or frustrated after seeing the video which talked about coffee and corn farmers in Mexico who are suffering because they aren't getting a fair price for the product because of all the middle men in the market. The big companies, like Nescafe, get money and there is little or nothing left for the farmers. The video talked about supporting fair trade organizations and also mentioned that many farmers aren't hooked up with these organizations so are still 'stuck.' Andy and I had a different response from most of the people in our group, which we shared with each other on the way home. I thought it was great how we can 'vote' with our dollars. If everyone started buying fair trade items (coffee, chocolate, handicrafts - baskets, for example) the market would change. I thought maybe people in our group felt like they wanted to have a bigger impact sooner. Anyway....that's all for now. Time for bed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy J Harnett said...

I admit I'm a little behind you guys on the "ethical shopping" decisions you've made...
But Jer and I are trying to become more aware, and "wider-world conscious". Thanks for your inspiration to me. I like your thought about our choice of purchases being a 'vote'. Did you read the article I posted on our blog re: this issue? *Tanya

6:03 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I don't think I read the article you're refering to. Where can I find it?

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home